Interesting stuff I've read (articles, sites...):

Monday, June 23, 2008

Mark Twain's home

This caught my ear over NPR on Sunday.

Turns out that Mark Twain's Hartford, CT home (now a museum) is struggling with keeping open do to mounting debt. The NPR piece as well as most all the articles found in my news.google.com search played off Twain's own misfortunes with money as well as adding in some of his wittisisms ironicly played against the situation.

The AP article I noted this challenge was being experianced by a number of home/museums with Edith Wharton's home also getting singled out.

Turns out the confluence of the housing buble and the meager means of many of these home/museums is leading to too these problems. It also brings up a number of observations within me...

* Did they take out a Home Equity Loan on the White House too?
* Where do I let me emotions land? Do my criticism on money not handled well overide my love of Twain and his importance to American culture? My answer is pretty obvious but I pose it anyway.
* Why the hell do I have my family flying to Europe with fuel and the dollar driving up the trips costs when I have a so many options in my first summer living on the East Coast?

Cutting to the chase, if you have been looking to donate to something you might consider this.

No comments: